Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Arduino UNO sound pressure controlled LED Strip

Arduino UNO: Sound Controlled LED Strip 

First off, I'm not going to go into too much details because I first didn't plan to do this, but I figured I'd share atleast to give some people ideas about even better things. Second, this is simple. It's nothing complicated and can be done by anyone.. I think.
Here is what I used:
  • Sound Sensor ('pressure' sensitive)
  • Arduino UNO (Of course!) 
  • LED Strip (WS2801 chipset) 
  • small bread board (to make giving power a little easier) 
  • long wires
  • small cardboard box to put the project in and forget about 
  • double sided tape for attaching strip-to-monitor 
  • Soldering Iron (I used a super cheap one) 
 These are the exact items I purchased:
sound sensor

WS2801 LED Strip

and here is a GIST of the setup (from memory, hope I didn't mess up!):
NOTE; you can use an external power supply, which is probably a better idea since it may need more than the output amperage from the computer.. but I like to live on the edge. No problems so far. I did; however, buy an external power supply and it works the same. The only downfall with using the external supply is that it doesn't turn off when you turn the computer off (since my Arduino is plugged in my computer mine does).

Anyways, I hooked up the circuit, plugged it into my computer and used this library right here to get started and then MODIFIED it to what I wanted it to do. https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-WS2801-Library/blob/master/examples/strandtest/strandtest.pde

In the pictures you will be able to see where I cut the LED strip and soldered some wires in place so I could make a nice little turn around my monitor. So you may need to invest in a 10 dollar soldering iron like I did!

You can use this to choose whatever color of your liking: http://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/RGB_Color.htm




I don't know why it looks so dirty..




Oh, and here's a video of me TESTING the code: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIHR9HD2xk4
I have modified it quite a bit since then, so it's a little more accurate then in the video. 

This is not in depth and the details and coding are left up to you. If you have some knowledge you should be able to figure it out! Hope this helps and give you guys even better ideas. 



1 comment:

  1. hi ! IM WORKING ON A SIMILAR PROJECT, COULOD YOU UPLOAD THE CODE TO WORK WITH WS2801 LED STRIPS ??
    MUCH APPRECIATED : atipyka2010@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete